Thursday, April 26, 2012

CROSS TRAINING WITH PERIODIZATION


Nice little rain this morning...although I prefer the sun and the heat this weather brings me back to football practice. speed drills, hitting drills, and then weights. Man I never thought I actually miss those intense 3 1/2 hours practices plus weights... but I do!

Although weight training is my favorite exercise I work on I trying  to include all components of fitness in my routine both health and fitness related. This obviously should be the same for everyone else, always include the type training you love most  as well as the other components of fitness in your regular regime. This is the only way for one to achieve their full potential in fitness. When talking fitness components, I also talk about cross training which has been around for years and is not a new fitness fad although some new comers think it is because of Cross fit. Cross training is important for preventing over-training as well as helping one reach their goals without getting too bored with the same routine.
For example, I structure my CRS60 program the same way a Strength and conditioning coach of a professional or college team/school would for their athletes, by using Periodization. For a brief example,...
-Off-season is for muscle gain/Hypertrophy
- Preseason for power and sport specific training
-In season for mainly maintenance and sport specific training.
All seasons work both on strength and endurance just at different intensities depending on the time  of season and type of sport.
Another simply way to cross train with Periodization is to do what I do regularly. During the winter season I focus on a bulking program for 3 to 4 months, which includes more power training and short intense cardio training. In the summertime I focus more on endurance and sculpting which means I do more circuit workouts and longer distance running but not too long because the last thing I want personally is too lose too much muscle. Although there are certain times during this latter period that lifting only lift medium weight is necessary, I think it is important no matter ones goal to always  include progression(if form is perfect) and lift to one's full potential in their own means.
 This is a great way to continue to see results without reaching a training plateau or injury.  This is why it is very important to keep balance in your fitness routines. Always do what you love the most but with a understanding that there are times we have to sacrifice to what we maybe don't like at the time, to achieve the fullest of our goals.

FITNESS COMPONENTS:
-Health Related
Body Composition
Cardiovascular Endurance
Muscular Strength
Muscular Endurance
Flexibility

-Performance Related
Power
Speed & Quickness
Agility
Balance
Motor Skill


Jason Whalen BA Science BA Coaching
JWWFITNESS WORKOUT CONCEPTS

No comments:

Post a Comment